Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sick FIL, IVF consultation and a Chinese Herbs one too!

Thursday morning we got back from work and call FIL as he turned 78. Find out that he is sick and has been losing weight along with a horrible cough that he has had for a few months. Drs suspect prostate cancer :( Hubbyman upset and we arrange for him to take an emergency leave of absence from work for a month so he can go help with his father. He left on Friday afternoon and is now on a 12 hour layover in Winnipeg. Will not be in Ontario until Wednesday. 5 day bus trip with very long layovers. Sadly the BF got compromised since we have no other money to pay for hubbyman to go see his parents.

Later that morning got geared up for Chinese herbal consultation which was free and lasted almost 2 hours! Very, very informative. We are considering this should we not have enough saved to do IVF this year since it looks like we may not do this until Autumn now. I have already decided to myself, very quietly, that should we not be pregnant this year, no more intervention. Just healthy living and accepting child-free living.

Then the same afternoon our IVF Dr called and was very pleasant. He explained that he never did get the lab reports or test results from our previous RE in Alberta and that was upsetting. However, those tests are outdated so he is mailing us some requistion forms so we can get tested again at our local hospital. Hubbyman will need blood test along with a SA, since blood work can show what is wrong with a person. He will also order me to have CD3 testing along with a pelvic ultrasound. He is concerned and doesn't know why this has not happened for us comsidering our medical histories, as we filled out forms for him that he had in front of him. He is concerned that my age of 40 that we should move right to IVF. We informed him of FIL's status and hubbyman's need to leave and therefore deplete some of the BF and he was very sympathetic. He will call again once he has the results of all our tests.

I went to work the last few nights without hubbyman and it has been very strange to say the least. I miss him. He has been reversing the charges with his calls as he comes into towns, so at least we have not been cut off from one another entirely. This morning when I got back from work there was a lovly email from my IVF Dr.

Dear BFK and Mr Wonderful,

It was nice to have the opportunity to talk to both of you the other day. I am so very sorry to hear that Mr Wonderful’s Dad is ill and hope that you have a safe trip back to Ontario .

From your histories I am really unsure as to why you are having difficulty getting pregnant.

Ideally, given your age BFK, we should be moving on to in vitro fertilization. I understand that Mr Wonderful's recent trip has drained your resources and that at this stage you are undecided about proceeding. However I am going to mail you requisitions for some baseline investigations so we at least have a handle on what is happening.

Mr Wonderful: You need to have some blood tests and a semen analysis. I am not sure what laboratories are available and would suspect that you may need to go to the hospital. I would suggest you go to the lab and show them the requisition I have mailed you and they will give you further instruction about the blood tests and collecting a semen sample.

BFK: Your blood tests need to be done on the third day of the cycle. The first day of your period is cycle day 1.

I will also try and arrange for you to have a pelvic ultrasound BFK just to make sure that everything is okay.

Once all these tests have been done we should speak again so that I can explain the results to you


I am already really, really liking our Dr! I hope in a way we do get to do IVF as I just want to meet him. His personal touch truly makes a difference!

For now, just enjoying a quiet Valentine's Day evening thinking about going to bed and awaiting hubbyman's call later.

We have waited so long for our baby blessing that I truly believe that another few months will not hurt us however, will make us stronger!

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment